1. Medical Coding and Medical Billing are not the same thing. Medical Coding is the assignment of codes to patients’ conditions and the services/treatments that they have received from the medical provider. Medical Billing is the process of submitting medical claims and collecting payment for the services provided.
2. The demand for Electronic Medical Coding& Billing professionals is growing as the use of Electronic Health Records is becoming prevalent with hospitals and private offices. Over 95% of all hospitals and over 60% of all office-based doctors use Electronic Health Records to keep track of services provided to patients.
3. Annual median salary for a health records professionals is $40,350, the top 10% earn more than $66,260.
4. New York has one of the highest employment levels for medical billing professionals, while New Jersey has the highest average annual salary in the country.
5. Medical coding and billing professionals can find jobs in many settings: hospitals, physician offices, nursing care facilities, healthcare consulting firms, insurance companies, law firms, and government agencies such as the National Center for Health Statistics, or State Medicaid departments.
6. Hospitals will tend to have the highest wages.
7. Medical Coders use the International Classification of Diseases (ICD-10) index. According to the World Health Organization,“ICD defines the universe of diseases, disorders, injuries, and other related health conditions, listed in a comprehensive, hierarchical fashion that allows for:
8. A Medical Coding career can offer flexibility. While many medical coding and billing jobs are traditional in nature, there are opportunities for non-traditional and, in some cases, work from home arrangements.
9. A successful medical coder and billing professional is an adept researcher and problem solver. Assigning the right code can involve research, discussions with doctors, patients, and insurance companies.
10. You do not require a college degree to become a medical coder and biller. Our NY licensed Electronic Medical Billing and Coding course will prepare you for a nationally recognized certification from the National Healthcareer Association.
We are a women-owned business, and as most founders, we are inspired by our unique backgrounds and experiences. Our President spent most of her career in medicine and our Head of Academics’ is a 35+ year veteran of higher education academic administration with advanced degrees from Columbia University and 20 years of deanship experience.
We wholeheartedly believe that with our unique approach to career planning, education, and job placement support, we can make a real and lasting difference in your life.
We have developed over 20 NY licensed programs that provide students with nationally certified credentials in clinical and administrative medical professions.
Call us today! We would love an opportunity to introduce ourselves and to help make an informed decision about your future!